Painting the exterior of your home doesn’t happen often, so when you’re deciding on a color, you have to be 100% confident that this color will be timeless, elegant, and beautiful.
At Hirshfield’s, we carry countless exterior paint colors to choose from, giving you the freedom to explore to find the exact color you are looking for.
Here are some tips to consider when deciding on an exterior paint color:
- Consider pre-existing factors such as roof color, chimney, trim—if you aren’t planning on painting it—and landscape. Roof color is especially important because unless you completely re-roof your home, it isn’t going anywhere for a while. So instead, find an exterior paint color that complements the color of your roof.
- If your home has stone, copper, or brick accents, consider a color that will accentuate the current elements that make your home truly beautiful.
- When deciding on an exterior color, feel free to focus on not only the body of the home, but also the trimming, shutters, and door. It can really make a home come to life if all three of these components complement each other seamlessly.
- Be aware that paint samples can often look darker or richer in-store than they will appear when they are applied to the exterior of your home. Don’t be afraid to sample paints before tackling the entirety of the project.
- Take note of the color palette of the surrounding homes or landmarks in your neighborhood. Originality is important as you don’t want to completely blend in among the masses. However, showcase your individuality without stepping on neighbors’ toes (i.e. painting your home Pepto Bismol pink when the neighborhood has chosen a more neutral palette!)
Neutral exterior colors have remained timeless and popular in Minnesota throughout the years. The above homeowner chose a neutral palette which really played up their stone accents nicely.
Not quite comfortable choosing colors yourself? Schedule an exterior color consultation with one of our color consultants— they specialize in choosing the right combinations to suit your home’s needs.
When selecting exterior paints be sure to check out Hirshfield’s and Benjamin Moore paints for durability, ease of application, resistance to mildew, mold, and UV rays, and overall performance.
Since Frank and Elizabeth Hirshfield opened their first store in 1894, it has been our mission to do the best job possible meeting customer needs and solving customer problems. Hirshfield’s. People and products you can trust.