Have you ever tried to match a color swatch in a store only to find it looks like a completely different color when you bring it home? You’ve just experienced metamerism, the occurrence of colors seemingly changing when viewed under different light sources. Some colors are more prone to this phenomenon than others, including tans, taupes, grays, grayed-blues, mauves, lilacs, and grayed yellow-greens such as celadon. View color swatches in the actual space and lighting conditions in which they are being used.
It’s all about the options you have when it comes to sampling paint colors in your home. The newest option offered by Hirshfield’s is 8 x 10 Peel & Stick paint samples from Benjamin Moore’s Favorites fan deck. This collection features 75 tried-and-true colors handpicked by the color experts at Benjamin Moore. Ranging from classic neutrals, mid-tones and dramatic deeps, you’ll recognize paint colors known for their versatility and timelessness. More information on Peel & Stick paint swatches can be found on our blog.
Peel & Stick color swatches are available to order online and will be mailed to you via the US Mail from Minneapolis OR you can purchase them up at our stores in Edina and Roseville.
Color Samples are actual paint in one-pint or half-pint containers. By sampling a color at home, you will get the most accurate sense of how the color will actually look in the room. You can see the colors on their actual surfaces, and in the correct lighting conditions where you plan to paint. Another option is to apply a couple coats of paint to a sample board and tape it to the wall.
Pint Samples: Benjamin Moore, Hirshfield’s and Magnolia Home Paint
Half-Pint Samples: Farrow & Ball available at our stores in Edina and Roseville
• Decide between several shades and tints of a particular color.
• Compare how different undertones of a color (vibrant yellow, gray-yellow, green-yellow, etc.) affect the feel of the room.
• Determine how a particular color in a room will flow with the colors in adjoining rooms.
• Does your color work with other colors in the room (such as a deeply hued rug).
• Experience how color is enhanced by different lighting conditions.
• Experiment with several different colors before deciding on a color scheme for a room.
Peel & Stick paint samples or Color Sample pints are both economical ways to see how your color choices will look in your home before committing to your color selection. Auditioning your paint colors is money well spent. Happy walls = happy customer!